Colour Canary Forum

Colour Canary Forum

All About Colour Canaries

Numbers of eggs.

zipdogso
    Breeders Group

Numbers of eggs.

Post  zipdogso on Fri Apr 06 2012, 11:18

Glad your birds have started for you....

Perhaps the low egg production has been caused by lack of sufficient calcium.

I see you have cuttlfish, it is often OK on its own but I find the birds like the oystershell grit too. Make sur it is oystershell grit rather than the stuff sold for budgies. Oystershell grit breaks down in the gut to provide calcium, normal grit doesn't. Together oystershell and cuttlefish provide all the calcium and phosperous needed.

Crushed Oesteocare tablets from Boots or online try vitabiotics (postage to UK is often free.), seems like a good idea as suggested on this forum recently and something I am taking up.

Hens need large amounts of calcium as egg production depletes it quickly, if they dont eat enough cuttlefish they wont get enough.

John_Graydon

Re: Numbers of eggs.

Post  John_Graydon on Fri Apr 06 2012, 11:49

I also use Oystershell & I add in charcoal to it, No cuttlefish here this year.

http://johngraydon.webs.com/

http://eirecolourcanaryclub.freeforums.org/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eire-Colour-Canary-Club/329120550466105

John_Graydon

Post  John_Graydon on Fri Apr 06 2012, 11:56

What is the Brown you have crossed with the White Satinette & what will you expect from this pairing Ste.

http://johngraydon.webs.com/

http://eirecolourcanaryclub.freeforums.org/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eire-Colour-Canary-Club/329120550466105

zipdogso
    Breeders Group

Post  zipdogso on Fri Apr 06 2012, 12:29

I have no idea what he is expecting....but assuming the birds are what they visually appear to be with no carriers he will get isabel satinette hens and isabel split for brown & satinette cocks it will depend on what his white is whether he gets any. if its dominant he may get some, if its recessive he wont get any they will only be carriers.
    The only potential problem is brown to isabel he might enlarge the striations beyond that a isabel would normally have....not a big problem unless you intend showing.
    In my view so long as it doesn't affect the striations too much quite a good little pairing.

John_Graydon wrote:I also use Oystershell & I add in charcoal to it, No cuttlefish here this year.
    Yes I do charcoal too but that is purely a digestion aid. With the cuttlefish it is a good source of phosperous which is needed by the birds in the correct proportion to the calcium.. It is one of those extras required for good calcium assimulation including vitamin D3 and magnesium to name a couple. That is why cuttlefish and oystershell is considered a good combination - better than just one or the other...
    ste1960
    Breeders Group

Grit

Post  ste1960 on Fri Apr 06 2012, 12:56

I also use Oysershell grit along with the cuttlefish.

I am hopefully going to produce Satinette hens and carrier cocks from these.

Thanks for all your comments guys

Champion Exhibitor

Post  chrisp on Fri Apr 06 2012, 17:44

@zip what are Isabel split for brown and satinette cocks ?
    ste1960
    Breeders Group

Post  ste1960 on Fri Apr 06 2012, 18:14

chrisp wrote:@zip what are Isabel split for brown and satinette cocks ?

Just what I was wondering.
    Shocked

Breeders Group

Post  zipdogso on Fri Apr 06 2012, 23:14

I presume you are questioning the carrying brown.....

Cocks have 2 X chromosones (XX)

The way the genes split in this pairing (so long as they split correctly.) the cocks dominant chromosone is Isabel so is visual but the bird is not a full isabel i.e. having isabel on both chromosones. So on the recessive chromosone it is carrying brown. If you use these cocks next year, depending on the way you pair them it would be possible to throw some straight brown hens.

If you want further proof I will try and do it at the weekend for you.
    Red devil

Post  Red devil on Fri Apr 06 2012, 23:28

From the pairing being used ie: Brown Hen X Isabel Satinette Cock
    All chicks will be Isabel Satinette Hens and Brown Cocks carrying both Isabel and Isabel Satinette.

If one of these cocks is put back with his mother then there is a possibility of producing Brown, Isabel and Isabel Satinette Hens and Brown cocks plus Browns cocks possibly carrying Isabel or Isabel Satinette or both.

I hope this helps.
    zipdogso
    Breeders Group

Post  zipdogso on Sat Apr 07 2012, 00:00

Yes pardon me I forgot.....looking at my chart now... I need glasses LOL of course the brown is dominant to isabel whether it appears on the dominant chromosone or not.... the cocks are browns carrying isabel and satinette....and the hens isabel satinettes....as red said. I will still put it up over the weekend and you can see where I went wrong...it was trying out a new way of looking at things.

EDITTED-
    Someone, not a canary breeder, showed me a different way to chart inheritance. But they incorrectly told me the way to identfiy the dominant (visual) gene and I admit I hadnt checked it yet but it seemed Ok. Now I realize the colour determines dominant and when you apply that it works perfectly. I am going back to the old method though .....
    Apologies for my ignorance and not checking it.....

Last edited by zipdogso on Sat Apr 07 2012, 12:32; edited 2 times in total
    chrisp
    Champion Exhibitor

foot note

Post  chrisp on Sat Apr 07 2012, 08:27

Prett sure the brown cocks will only be carrying isabel satinette I cannot understand how isabel would split from the satinette I'm not 100% sure but would this not be a case spliting the atom? From years of breeding this pairing as far as I am aware I have never bred out any asabels.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jul 26 2017, 01:36