Colour Canary Forum

Colour Canary Forum

All About Colour Canaries


    Now second round is hatching

    Share
    avatar
    zipdogso
    Breeders Group

    Posts : 808
    Join date : 2010-11-03
    Location : Purley, Surrey

    Now second round is hatching

    Post  zipdogso on Mon May 07 2012, 22:40

    The only birds I have had lay small or mis-shapen have been continental birds....

    That said..... the hens I got from Johan van der Maelen are laying some of the biggest eggs. There is not a lot in it weight-wise but I noticed it is consistant.
    I have decided egg size/number/production is linked very much not just to breeding preparation but year long nutrition and health. Starting your breeding prearation in December is only the half of it.
    avatar
    Red devil
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 4719
    Join date : 2011-02-13
    Age : 58
    Location : South Wales

    Re: Now second round is hatching

    Post  Red devil on Mon May 07 2012, 22:49

    zipdogso wrote:The only birds I have had lay small or mis-shapen have been continental birds.... That said..... the hens I got from Johan van der Maelen are laying some of the biggest eggs. There is not a lot in it weight-wise but I noticed it is consistant. I have decided egg size/number/production is linked very much not just to breeding preparation but year long nutrition and health. Starting your breeding prearation in December is only the half of it.

    I would agree with you, but having the birds all winter and all my birds on the same regime the egg sizes I refer to only affects my Topaz and none of the others.
    avatar
    zipdogso
    Breeders Group

    Posts : 808
    Join date : 2010-11-03
    Location : Purley, Surrey

    Re: Now second round is hatching

    Post  zipdogso on Mon May 07 2012, 23:01

    Red devil wrote:
    I would agree with you, but having the birds all winter and all my birds on the same regime the egg sizes I refer to only affects my Topaz and none of the others.

    Oh....well my Topaz hen came from JvdM Belgium and has laid slightly larger than average and I am pleased to say were all filled by my rampant Red Isabel and all hatched too....100% result
    avatar
    Red devil
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 4719
    Join date : 2011-02-13
    Age : 58
    Location : South Wales

    Re: Now second round is hatching

    Post  Red devil on Tue May 08 2012, 10:14

    zipdogso wrote:
    Red devil wrote:
    I would agree with you, but having the birds all winter and all my birds on the same regime the egg sizes I refer to only affects my Topaz and none of the others.

    Oh....well my Topaz hen came from JvdM Belgium and has laid slightly larger than average and I am pleased to say were all filled by my rampant Red Isabel and all hatched too....100% result

    I'll have to contact him for some Topaz then and try and improve mine.
    Thanks for the information.
    avatar
    r.costellow
    Champion Exhibitor

    Posts : 1836
    Join date : 2010-08-08
    Age : 63
    Location : lincolnshire

    Re: Now second round is hatching

    Post  r.costellow on Tue May 08 2012, 12:02



    my topaz are laying large eggs hens from abroad Dennis got it me.

    Bob


    _________________
    My 2012 Diary

    Sponsored content

    Re: Now second round is hatching

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Jul 26 2017, 01:34