Colour Canary Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Colour Canary Forum

Colour Canary Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Colour Canary Forum

All About Colour Canaries

+6
opalcanary
Robby Mitchell
Dave O Halloran
Red devil
BlueCobalt
Xeephran
10 posters

Hi all - new to the forum (and the CCBA!)

Xeephran
    Xeephran

Hi all - new to the forum (and the CCBA!) Empty Hi all - new to the forum (and the CCBA!)

Post  Xeephran Fri Jun 01 2012, 12:11

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself as a new member. I only have 2 birds, one yellow fife (Felix)and my red factor (Clem). Only wanted the red really but got the fife first and am now attached to him.

Unfortunately Clem is currently orange since my attempts at colour feeding last year went terribly wrong. I fed him Haithe's ready mixed red food which he hated so I added seed to it. He subsequently became an expert at picking out the seeds only and that's what he spent the moult doing. So, I watched as during the summer he went from blood red to 'piebald' orange and red and then finally uniform orange (he's the bird in my avatar picture). This year I am armed with Carophyll red! Just been reading over some of the strategies posted by other forum members.

I look forward to getting involved with the Avon zone since I live in Bristol and really want to purchase a red mosaic at some point...they look stunning, such a contrast of colour.

Thanks for reading Smile

BlueCobalt
    BlueCobalt

Hi all - new to the forum (and the CCBA!) Empty Re: Hi all - new to the forum (and the CCBA!)

Post  BlueCobalt Fri Jun 01 2012, 12:27

Excellent news, and will be great to see another member at Avon zone. The bug will very quickly overtake you. Obviously you will be joining the CCBA, therefore colour food (carophyll) will help you colour up better.
    Welcome and post away!!
    Red devil
    Red devil

Hi all - new to the forum (and the CCBA!) Empty Re: Hi all - new to the forum (and the CCBA!)

Post  Red devil Fri Jun 01 2012, 13:40

Hello Xeephran and welcome to the Colour Canary Forum.
    The Avon Zone has a good following and i'm sure their annual show is held on the first Sunday in November,
    I myself live just over the bridge.
    I hope you enjoy the forum and any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
    Dave O Halloran
    Dave O Halloran

Post  Dave O Halloran Fri Jun 01 2012, 15:20

Hello and welcome to the forum
    Dave.
    Robby Mitchell
    Robby Mitchell

Post  Robby Mitchell Sat Jun 02 2012, 00:01

welcome to the forum
    opalcanary
    opalcanary

Post  opalcanary Sat Jun 02 2012, 05:34

Welcome!!
    You can find all kinds of information about canaries on this forum.
    micheal
    micheal
    Breeders Group

Post  micheal Sat Jun 02 2012, 10:06

welcome to the forum hope u enjoy cheers
    David McCool
    David McCool
    Admin

Post  David McCool Sat Jun 02 2012, 12:10

welcome to the colour canary forum, hope you enjoy.
    forest2709
    forest2709

Hi all - new to the forum (and the CCBA!) Empty Hi all - new to the forum (and the CCBA!)

Post  forest2709 Sat Jun 02 2012, 12:49

Hello Xeephran and welcome to the Colour Canary Forum.

forest 2709
    zipdogso
    zipdogso
    Breeders Group

Post  zipdogso Sat Jun 02 2012, 13:36

Hello,

I just wanted to point out that despite your bad feelings about colour feeding your bird last year....you actually did nothing wrong !!

You say the bird went patchy then a uniform colour...this is perfecly normal. Birds moult out in areas of the body, some areas moult first then others later. You cant normally see this very well on a yellow bird but on a red it is very evident and red birds mid-moult look very patchy.

The fact the colour became uniform showed the colourant was well distributed within the birds body, you couldn't of done any better.

If a red factor is paired to a yellow the red factor is reduced from it's normal level and the resulting young only have the potential to be a paler colour - orange, this is not the case with your bird as you have observed it being a good bright red so the culprit in your case is the colour food.

Mixing it with seed was not the problem. Not all colour foods are the same, it is the concentration and type colourant that determines the final vibrancy of the red.It is possible that the "complete" softfood you used doesn't contain sufficient concentration of colourant to achieve the red you are familiar with when used by itself.
    So using this on it's own you achieved the best colour you could in the correct manner.

Carophyll Red is a trademarked colourant so where you see the full name it should be the same compound. Carophyll red is a mix of two colourants designed to achieve the best colour - it is the mix available from the CCBA. Using it this year will allow you to bring the colour of your bird back up to how it used to be.

One further point birds are creatures of habit, give them something new they will always be suspicious of it, they might take to it, they might not....they need time so if your birds are unfamiliar with your chosen red food start using it early...
    Xeephran
    Xeephran

Post  Xeephran Sat Jun 02 2012, 16:06

Thank you Zip,

I'd actually never thought of it like that, I just assumed that he's orange rather than red because I didn't feed him right. How pale would he be with no red food at all?

zipdogso
    zipdogso
    Breeders Group

Post  zipdogso Sat Jun 02 2012, 16:40

Probably a degree of lemony yellow perhaps with a faint orange tinge.

Reds are just yellow ground birds with an extra gene that allows them to produce the red colour from their food. Without the red food the extra gene has no effect so generally they revert to Yellow or thereabouts.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 01:16