Colour Canary Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Colour Canary Forum

Colour Canary Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Colour Canary Forum

All About Colour Canaries

5 posters

coming back

zipdogso
    zipdogso
    Breeders Group

coming back Empty coming back

Post  zipdogso Wed Nov 03 2010, 15:39

Hi,
    I used to keep colours some 20 years ago and gave up to work,it was unsociable,long hours but as I have had to give up work due to illness but I am hoping to find a job of sorts. So now I have come back to breeding colours !

At the moment only have a trio of cobalt/cobalt carriers courtesy of Simon Meredith but I am hoping to pick up some more birds before long.

coming back Empty Re: coming back

Post  Guest Wed Nov 03 2010, 16:39

zipdogso wrote:Hi,
    I used to keep colours some 20 years ago and gave up to work,it was unsociable,long hours but as I have had to give up work due to illness but I am hoping to find a job of sorts. So now I have come back to breeding colours !

At the moment only have a trio of cobalt/cobalt carriers courtesy of Simon Meredith but I am hoping to pick up some more birds before long.

Welcome back and the best of luck with your birds.

mal
    John_Graydon
    John_Graydon

Post  John_Graydon Wed Nov 03 2010, 18:23

Welcome Zip
    Good to see you are after getting some cobalts. Hope you do well with them.
    john
    David McCool
    David McCool
    Admin

Post  David McCool Wed Nov 03 2010, 21:18

colbatls seem to be the big choice at the moment, you will enjot working with them
    geordie
    geordie
    Breeders Group

Post  geordie Wed Nov 03 2010, 22:02

David McCool wrote:colbatls seem to be the big choice at the moment, you will enjot working with them
    Dave have you got a photo of a colbalt,they seem very popular birds. Wouldent mind seeing what they look like.
    David McCool
    David McCool
    Admin

Post  David McCool Wed Nov 03 2010, 22:14

this was the winning cobalt at the ACS last year
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I will search for clearer pics
    geordie
    geordie
    Breeders Group

Post  geordie Wed Nov 03 2010, 22:19

Cheers dave, just had a look with my binoculers and they look great, lol
    David McCool
    David McCool
    Admin

Post  David McCool Wed Nov 03 2010, 22:21

Laughing Laughing
    John_Graydon
    John_Graydon

Post  John_Graydon Wed Nov 03 2010, 22:40

geordie wrote:Cheers dave, just had a look with my binoculers and they look great, lol

Here is Another Red/Black Cobalt

RayC
    RayC

Post  RayC Thu Nov 04 2010, 11:06

A bit taken from a talk given by GBR at a seminar

The Cobalt mutation is strikingly black and luminous but at first glance it might be confused with a classic melanin bronze. The cobalt hypermelanism mutation disperses a melanin veil effect over the lipochrome that occupies the outer edges of both sides of the feather giving the bird a striking darker black color. The phaeomelanin (brown) which is commonly express in the feather is no longer visible resulting is a clear, dark color and smooth ground color with maximum dark eumelanin. Geoff remarked that an onyx cobalt is the closest thing today to a black canary!

The cobalt should be luminous, especially evident in the intensive feathering and not dull. Selective breeding of these birds has resulted in a loss of all brown producing genes because of the optical blue factor or perhaps the Azul factor which he is currently studying. The azul factor is like a predictable optical blue, shiny and beautiful and never dull.

The feet of the cobalt should be dark in the bronze cobalt just like in a classic bronze. Classic bronze typically show lighter feet the second year but at this time some cobalt may have lighter feet, a fault, their first year.
    !

Cobalt is a recessive mutation and follows the standard laws of Mendelian inheritance for a recessive mutation. For a bird to be phenotypically (visibly) cobalt it must inherit the cobalt gene from both parents as it only shows when the bird is homozygous or in other words when it has two cobalt genes, one inherited from each parent. This inheritance pattern is seen in a number of colorbreds such as opal or recessive white etc.

the distinction between the intensive classic bronze and the intensive bronze cobalt which is easily seen by simply turning the birds over and examining the vent area. The classic bronze shown on the bottom, has considerable red lipochrome color on the underside while the Cobalt picture on the top is black clear to the vent due the super imposing of melanin pigment over the lipochrome on the feather edges!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 15:41