Colour Canary Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Colour Canary Forum

Colour Canary Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Colour Canary Forum

All About Colour Canaries

2 posters

a beginners question

mojodojo

a beginners question Empty a beginners question

Post  mojodojo Fri May 02 2014, 13:09

What are colour canaries? are they purely bred for colour?

if so  could I breed my borders only for colour and not for type would that be considered a colour canary?
    or would that still be considered a nicely coloured border.
    I would like to find out as I have some lovely "coloured" borders that I only breed for type and not so
    much for colour although I would like to change that if I could.
    If anyone could clear this up for me that would be great.
    cheers
    Nik
    Red devil
    Red devil

a beginners question Empty Re: a beginners question

Post  Red devil Fri May 02 2014, 14:05

mojodojo wrote:What are colour canaries? are they purely bred for colour?

if so  could I breed my borders only for colour and not for type would that be considered a colour canary?
    or would that still be considered a nicely coloured border.
    I would like to find out as I have some lovely "coloured" borders that I only breed for type and not so
    much for colour although I would like to change that if I could.
    If anyone could clear this up for me that would be great.
    cheers
    Nik

This is a difficult question to answer not knowing what go's on down under.
    In the UK Coloured Canaries are bred mainly for colour with the judging standard giving 50 pionts out of 100 for colour alone
    I'm sure I've heard that Borders in Australia can be coloured [ie red]
    but there is so much more to coloured canaries than just red birds
    If you look at the identification stickies in each of the heading's in the section you are in now it may give you an insight.
    and maybe some of your countrymen will be able to give you a much more direct answer than this.

I hope this helps.
    mojodojo

Post  mojodojo Fri May 02 2014, 15:10

for what I understand they used a red siskin and crossed it with a border or German roller to create the red canary,
    so they used a type/song canary in order to create a coloured bird. by breeding only for colour and not type you will loose the shape ,lenght etc.
    so where did all of the coloured canaries came from. with what did they crossed them with in the very beginning before concentrating on colour alone.

an example is the Australian fife this bird is a bit of everything as  the importation of birds to Australia was banned so we had to create our own version.
    just my 2 cents worth
    cheers
    Red devil
    Red devil

Post  Red devil Sun May 04 2014, 23:06

Some people are always trying new things, some by trial and error, others have something in mind and try and bred to that end.
    I know of many people who have used different varieties of canary to achieve what they are looking for.
    We don't have the restriction in the UK that you guys endure in Australia and with Europe only a hour or so boat ride away or even shorter train ride gives us access to all European countries as well.
    there are still breeders who do play to try and produce new mutations and we are still getting new ones
    The latest being the Jaspe which is still a little short of having a recognised European standard awarded
    The Coloured Canary in the uk is not totally void of shape or size and at present they seem to be getting a little larger over here
    but these birds don't always win on the show bench.

I hope this go's some way to answering your querry

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 13:41