Colour Canary Forum

Colour Canary Forum

All About Colour Canaries


    hi people need some help please

    Share
    avatar
    johnboy

    Posts : 1853
    Join date : 2010-09-07
    Age : 55
    Location : sunderland tyne and wear.

    Re: hi people need some help please

    Post  johnboy on Thu Jun 19 2014, 22:30

    rash2014 wrote:That's a good idea :-)

    A couple pics would help if you can . One more question do the females not fight over the one cock? Or fight with each other over nests and nesting material? I assume you put more nests up and let the hens find and fight over which ever one they like ?
    cant do pics m8,,, on an old pc,,,but theres plenty on the net of different set ups,,,sometimes you get a little bickering but you get that between cocks n hens in cages so nothing new there,,,the cock normally goes for the first hen thats ready once she is down he turns to the others one by one as they come into condition,,,very rare for hens to fight,,,once they know the peckin order,,two nestpans per hen and plenty material usually rules out the bickering,,,johnboy...
    avatar
    johnboy

    Posts : 1853
    Join date : 2010-09-07
    Age : 55
    Location : sunderland tyne and wear.

    Re: hi people need some help please

    Post  johnboy on Thu Jun 19 2014, 22:38

    NigelH wrote:It would probably help Rash if you posted some pictures of your set-up as it stands John & how you manage these 'pairs' with all their youngsters & the other youngsters you have bred elsewhere all happily getting along together in your flight ?

    Probably enlighten a few more of us too.
    fyi ,,, i have three birdrooms as well as my flights,,,and there is more than enough room for the birds i breed,,,having made myself 30 plus double breeders this year,,,you do it your way i am quite happy doing it my way thank you,,,johnboy...

    rash2014

    Posts : 20
    Join date : 2014-06-17
    Age : 41
    Location : leicester UK

    Re: hi people need some help please

    Post  rash2014 on Thu Jun 19 2014, 22:45

    johnboy wrote:
    rash2014 wrote:That's a good idea :-)

    A couple pics would help if you can . One more question do the females not fight over the one cock? Or fight with each other over nests and nesting material? I assume you put more nests up and let the hens find and fight over which ever one they like ?
    cant do pics m8,,, on an old pc,,,but theres plenty on the net of different set ups,,,sometimes you get a little bickering but you get that between cocks n hens in cages so nothing new there,,,the cock normally goes for the first hen thats ready once she is down he turns to the others one by one as they come into condition,,,very rare for hens to fight,,,once they know the peckin order,,two nestpans per hen and plenty material usually rules out the bickering,,,johnboy...

    Waaw definately worth a try then
    Thanks johnboy
    avatar
    johnboy

    Posts : 1853
    Join date : 2010-09-07
    Age : 55
    Location : sunderland tyne and wear.

    Re: hi people need some help please

    Post  johnboy on Thu Jun 19 2014, 22:50

    rash2014 wrote:
    johnboy wrote:
    rash2014 wrote:That's a good idea :-)

    A couple pics would help if you can . One more question do the females not fight over the one cock? Or fight with each other over nests and nesting material? I assume you put more nests up and let the hens find and fight over which ever one they like ?
    cant do pics m8,,, on an old pc,,,but theres plenty on the net of different set ups,,,sometimes you get a little bickering but you get that between cocks n hens in cages so nothing new there,,,the cock normally goes for the first hen thats ready once she is down he turns to the others one by one as they come into condition,,,very rare for hens to fight,,,once they know the peckin order,,two nestpans per hen and plenty material usually rules out the bickering,,,johnboy...

    Waaw definately worth a try then
    Thanks johnboy
    the pens are really good for british birds as well,,,but these are best bred as single pairs,,,but that side of things can be exspensive,,,they were originally built by my brother what he calls a corridor aviary set up,,,ie five individual pens in a row the british lads do them all the time but i only use them for canarys,,,i was no good with british birds ,,,to much hassle for my liking,,,johnboy...
    avatar
    Ninetails
    A Grade Exhibitor (Aust)

    Posts : 804
    Join date : 2011-10-11
    Age : 53
    Location : Australia

    Re: hi people need some help please

    Post  Ninetails on Fri Jun 20 2014, 00:39

    GeoffW wrote:I wish that I had mystic powers, but there is a simple answer. Each year a colour is designated worldwide for use on all cage bred birds. Last year was Black this year is Dark Green

    It's interesting that people would think that, Geoff. In reality we've been out of whack with the rest of the world, probably forever. We were green this year and black next.
    Chances are though, that we will be using Coditech rings from the 2015 breeding season and we have already agreed at the National level, that to help in their production process we will fall in line colour-wise with everyone else.


    Neville
    avatar
    johnboy

    Posts : 1853
    Join date : 2010-09-07
    Age : 55
    Location : sunderland tyne and wear.

    Re: hi people need some help please

    Post  johnboy on Fri Jun 20 2014, 14:26

    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=76&u=16974391][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] i got the daughter to take a couple of pics of my big flight with young in for yer,,, the young in cages are of course inside the  huts,,,the young and old in the flight are a lizard cock with a couple of hens  sitting inside,,,and a number of this years young,,,agate red mosaics, lizards and staffords in there,,,johnboy
    avatar
    johnboy

    Posts : 1853
    Join date : 2010-09-07
    Age : 55
    Location : sunderland tyne and wear.

    Re: hi people need some help please

    Post  johnboy on Fri Jun 20 2014, 14:32

    there you go rash easily done,,, lol!  lol! ,,,johnboy... study 

    rash2014

    Posts : 20
    Join date : 2014-06-17
    Age : 41
    Location : leicester UK

    Re: hi people need some help please

    Post  rash2014 on Fri Jun 20 2014, 14:55

    You got an awesome setup johnboy and some very beatifull canaries.
    I am definitely going to try such a setup.

    Right now I have good news Rosie is sitting on her nest non-stop . I can't even take a peak lol. I tried to change daily water and seeds but she is not budging from her nest. So I think she has laid an egg :-)

    Sorry for the amount if questions but I have another one. I am supporting them with coloured egg food (dried version) I think . That's ok right ? Is there anything else I should be adding to her diet now?

    Thank you
    avatar
    johnboy

    Posts : 1853
    Join date : 2010-09-07
    Age : 55
    Location : sunderland tyne and wear.

    Re: hi people need some help please

    Post  johnboy on Fri Jun 20 2014, 15:12

    rash2014 wrote:You got an awesome setup johnboy and some very beatifull canaries.
    I am definitely going to try such a setup.

    Right now I have good news Rosie is sitting on her nest non-stop . I can't even take a peak lol. I tried to change daily water and seeds but she is not budging from her nest. So I think she has laid an egg :-)

    Sorry for the amount if questions but I have another one. I am supporting them with coloured egg food (dried version) I think . That's ok right ? Is there anything else I should be adding to her diet now?

    Thank you
    ok what you need to do to colour them properly is use carophyl red,,,you can get it from petshops on the net,,,you then mix it to dried eggfood,,,you can also purchase off the net,,,at a rate of one teaspoon of caro mixed to one pound of eggfood,,,you then prepare the food as per instructions,,, just moisten it,,,and feed that to the birds,,,you dont have to do it when young are in the nest but lots of people do,,,you could wait till the young are six weeks old and feed it then,,,as you can see from my garden theres lotsa wild seeds growing and grasses,,,they love nothing better if the other half will allow you a wild patch lol! lol!  i am a batchelor boy so as you see please myself affraid lol! ,,,johnboy... study 

    rash2014

    Posts : 20
    Join date : 2014-06-17
    Age : 41
    Location : leicester UK

    Re: hi people need some help please

    Post  rash2014 on Fri Jun 20 2014, 15:43

    Thanks johnboy , the food I have is red  carophyl with dried egg food and vitamin stuff ready mixed, from the pet shop . I have thrown the box away do can't remember the brand.
    That's what I am giving them now. Just wanted to check that this was ok to give whilst they raise the young and during sitting on the nest . :-)


    I have some wild grass as well in the garden I will try and give it to them to see if they like it :-)
    avatar
    johnboy

    Posts : 1853
    Join date : 2010-09-07
    Age : 55
    Location : sunderland tyne and wear.

    Re: hi people need some help please

    Post  johnboy on Fri Jun 20 2014, 19:11

    rash2014 wrote:Thanks johnboy , the food I have is red  carophyl with dried egg food and vitamin stuff ready mixed, from the pet shop . I have thrown the box away do can't remember the brand.
    That's what I am giving them now. Just wanted to check that this was ok to give whilst they raise the young and during sitting on the nest . :-)


    I have some wild grass as well in the garden I will try and give it to them to see if they like it :-)
    they only eat the seed heads of the grasses,,,dandelion and chickweed are favourites too,,,these you can throw the whole plant in,,,like everything else only leave in for one day then remove and freshen,,,good luck with your first young,,,johnboy...
    avatar
    GeoffW

    Posts : 1048
    Join date : 2009-09-21

    Re: hi people need some help please

    Post  GeoffW on Fri Jun 20 2014, 20:21

    Rash

    If your hen is sitting then she needs a basic diet. Just hard seed. No egg food , eggs, greens etc. These can be reintroduced after you get chicks.

    rash2014

    Posts : 20
    Join date : 2014-06-17
    Age : 41
    Location : leicester UK

    Re: hi people need some help please

    Post  rash2014 on Fri Jun 20 2014, 20:38

    Ok all thank you so far , I will be out of the country for next week so have left my wife with instructions to just change water and seeds until I am back.

    I checked her nest earlier and there is an egg in the nest :-)

    Thx people, will revert back on here for questions after my trip
    avatar
    johnboy

    Posts : 1853
    Join date : 2010-09-07
    Age : 55
    Location : sunderland tyne and wear.

    Re: hi people need some help please

    Post  johnboy on Fri Jun 20 2014, 23:36

    rash2014 wrote:Ok all thank you so far , I will be out of the country for next week so have left my wife with instructions to just change water and seeds until I am back.

    I checked her nest earlier and there is an egg in the nest :-)

    Thx people, will revert back on here for questions after my trip
    thats great news for you then rash,,,a lot of people feed as geoff says and feed only seed n water,,,i personally carry on with the same diet all year round,,,though admittedly in different proportions ,,,in winter eggfood is only fed twice a week but during breeding and moulting especially i feed everyday,,,the cock will eat there diet then feed to the hen,,,i see no point in denying the birds a good food,,,though as you see others have different ideas,,,it may be feasible in a cage scenario,,,or when the chicks are independent of the parents,,,but when the hen is sitting eggs and the cock is still feeding young it is hard to do in an aviary enviroment,,,the best food for feeding your birds is soaked seed,,,once you get the knack of making it you will see the birds relish it,,,johnboy... study 

    rash2014

    Posts : 20
    Join date : 2014-06-17
    Age : 41
    Location : leicester UK

    Re: hi people need some help please

    Post  rash2014 on Mon Jul 07 2014, 17:34

    hi Guys , came back from my business trip and have found that rosie has laid 2 eggs . if my memory serves me right . it  must have been over 14 days now but they haven't hatched yet ? :-(. Rosie is not leaving the nest at all.

    I am gone be more patient and give it some more days. have you guys ever had any prolonged egg hatching scenarios ?

    in preparation of when the chicks do hatch, I am looking for some ring bands. where is the best place to gets these ? Ebay ? or do we have any colourcanary group special ones ?

    thank you
    avatar
    johnboy

    Posts : 1853
    Join date : 2010-09-07
    Age : 55
    Location : sunderland tyne and wear.

    Re: hi people need some help please

    Post  johnboy on Tue Jul 08 2014, 11:25

    rash2014 wrote:hi Guys , came back from my business trip and have found that rosie has laid 2 eggs . if my memory serves me right . it  must have been over 14 days now but they haven't hatched yet ? :-(. Rosie is not leaving the nest at all.

    I am gone be more patient and give it some more days. have you guys ever had any prolonged egg hatching scenarios ?

    in preparation of when the chicks do hatch, I am looking for some ring bands. where is the best place to gets these ? Ebay ? or do we have any colourcanary group special ones ?

    thank you
    the colour plastic rings you can purchase from supapets online m8,,,the eggs may be a few days late ,,,i usually leave up to a week before discarding as i have had some a couple of days late before,,,johnboy...

    Sponsored content

    Re: hi people need some help please

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Aug 23 2017, 16:42