Colour Canary Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Colour Canary Forum

Colour Canary Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Colour Canary Forum

All About Colour Canaries

+4
Dennis
David McCool
Red devil
s25ale
8 posters

Red Factors?

s25ale
    s25ale

Red Factors? Empty Red Factors?

Post  s25ale Tue Mar 01 2011, 18:18

Whilst visiting a breeder i was offered a pair of Red Factors, i tried my best to resist but you guessed it there now sat in my birdroom.

I have no experience with colour canaries (i'm assuming there colour fed) is 'red factor' the colour or breed of bird or both? Embarassed I should have really asked more questons i don't know hat came over me.

Thanks, Hayley.
    Red devil
    Red devil

Red Factors? Empty Re: Red Factors?

Post  Red devil Tue Mar 01 2011, 19:20

s25ale wrote:Whilst visiting a breeder i was offered a pair of Red Factors, i tried my best to resist but you guessed it there now sat in my birdroom.

I have no experience with colour canaries (i'm assuming there colour fed) is 'red factor' the colour or breed of bird or both? Embarassed I should have really asked more questons i don't know hat came over me.

Thanks, Hayley.
    The term Red Factors was the general name given to the early birds which then turned to New Colour Canaries this name can still be seen at CBS shows in the UK.
    The CCBA prefer the Coloured Canaries as this covers all aspects as there are three ground colours [lipochrome] Red Yellow and White
    in both clears and selfs, it can sound very confusing but it is quite easy to pick up.
    Colour food can be used to inhance the lipochrome colour of the birds in both Red and Yellow.
    All Red ground birds are colour fed, but at the moment not that many yellow bird breeders use 's colour food [but I could be wrong on this]
    s25ale
    s25ale

Post  s25ale Tue Mar 01 2011, 19:48

Yes you've lost me pale Re-read your message 5 times and its starting to sink in........ the 3 groups of birds are 'born' red, yellow and white but the food colouring enhances the colour?

I've taken a quick picture of my new birds just to double check i'm not contributing to the forum on false pretences.

Red Factors? DSCF3771
    David McCool
    David McCool
    Admin

Post  David McCool Tue Mar 01 2011, 20:32

this is really going to confuse you now Rolling Eyes
    looks like the two birds you have are the same feather type.
    agreed you have red factors.
    but both are intensive feathered birds, to put it in Budgie terms both birds are normal as in the opposite feather being opaline, does this statement make any sense to you?

i will follow up if you understand where i am coming from.
    s25ale
    s25ale

Post  s25ale Tue Mar 01 2011, 20:40

I can see its going to be a steep learning curve Smile

I've heard canary breeders talking about buff and yellow feather types and pairng the oposites together am i on the right lines? What would the negative affect be of pairing two of the same feathered birds together?
    David McCool
    David McCool
    Admin

Post  David McCool Tue Mar 01 2011, 20:53

Right so you understand what i am saying ok Very Happy

the two birds you have are Yellow feather not buff,

in colour canary terms Yellow feather = intensive
    Buff Feather = Non Intensive

by breeding two intensive the feather quality will fine down, giving a narrower feathered bird,
    to keep the balance intensive must be paired to non -intensive

You still with me?? Smile Smile
    David McCool
    David McCool
    Admin

Post  David McCool Tue Mar 01 2011, 20:55

I would guess the bird at the back is the cock bird? just going by the richer colour.
    s25ale
    s25ale

Post  s25ale Tue Mar 01 2011, 20:58

I'm not sure which is the cock bird yet, still waiting for him to sing (only collected them last evening).

Yep i'm still with you, looks like i'll be needing 2 non intensive birds.
    David McCool
    David McCool
    Admin

Post  David McCool Tue Mar 01 2011, 21:01

If you are really lucky hopefully they are both hens, then you will only need one non intensive cock
    [but in reality it never works out that way]
    Red devil
    Red devil

Post  Red devil Tue Mar 01 2011, 21:57

s25ale wrote:Yes you've lost me pale Re-read your message 5 times and its starting to sink in........ the 3 groups of birds are 'born' red, yellow and white but the food colouring enhances the colour?

I've taken a quick picture of my new birds just to double check i'm not contributing to the forum on false pretences.

Red Factors? DSCF3771
    Right what I was trying to tell you is that coloured canaries in adult life can be
    a Red ground bird [like what you have and they need colour feeding when they moult]
    or perhaps a Yellow ground bird [which will be yellow in colour]
    or perhaps a White ground bird [which will be White and need no colour feeding at all]
    if you understand, this is what I was trying to say, all have different colouration in nest feather.
    Dennis
    Dennis

Post  Dennis Wed Mar 02 2011, 07:35

This is what the Forum is for, bird talk, an too help each other to be more successful,
    s25ale
    s25ale

Post  s25ale Wed Mar 02 2011, 08:01

I agree Denis, i can't believe how much i've learnt already. Hopefully i'll ge the hang of it and can post some chick pictures later in the year.
    Red devil
    Red devil

Post  Red devil Wed Mar 02 2011, 09:01

s25ale wrote:I agree Denis, i can't believe how much i've learnt already. Hopefully i'll ge the hang of it and can post some chick pictures later in the year.

We are all hoping to do that Laughing Laughing Laughing
    I hope I have been a help, and your not to confused ?
    s25ale
    s25ale

Post  s25ale Wed Mar 02 2011, 18:50

Red devil wrote:
    s25ale wrote:I agree Denis, i can't believe how much i've learnt already. Hopefully i'll ge the hang of it and can post some chick pictures later in the year.

We are all hoping to do that Laughing Laughing Laughing
    I hope I have been a help, and your not to confused ?

Yes thank you, still keeping up at the moment.
    John_Graydon
    John_Graydon

Post  John_Graydon Wed Mar 02 2011, 19:18

Im sure you will get there in the end Haley. Its a great challenge breeding and to see if they colour out to expectations.
    s25ale
    s25ale

Post  s25ale Wed Mar 02 2011, 20:42

Thanks John Smile

I brought 2 pairs of Fifes about a month ago, one cock is singing his head off and the hen is trying to make nests in her food bowl with newpaper from the floor. Going to bite the bullet his weekend and pair them up.

Post  Guest Wed Mar 02 2011, 20:45

s25ale wrote:Thanks John Smile

I brought 2 pairs of Fifes about a month ago, one cock is singing his head off and the hen is trying to make nests in her food bowl with newpaper from the floor. Going to bite the bullet his weekend and pair them up.

best of luck with them Very Happy
    John_Graydon
    John_Graydon

Post  John_Graydon Thu Mar 03 2011, 18:05

I would put the nest bowl in now at this time, wouldnt hold her back now.
    s25ale
    s25ale

Post  s25ale Thu Mar 03 2011, 20:25

John_Graydon wrote:I would put the nest bowl in now at this time, wouldnt hold her back now.

I've disinfected the nest pans but i can't get to the pet shop until Saturday for the felt and nesting material Rolling Eyes I thought most breeders waited until the beginning of April so i've been trying to hold back.
    niallmeehan1408
    niallmeehan1408
    Breeders Group

Post  niallmeehan1408 Thu Mar 03 2011, 20:33

only being a novice myself i would have taught the same but the advice i got here was to let them go and now i have 17 eggs in the pans Smile Smile so it was good advice,now i hope they hatch cheers cheers and before i finish welcome to the forum great to see you posting already Very Happy Very Happy
    Dennis
    Dennis

Post  Dennis Thu Mar 03 2011, 22:13

s25ale wrote:
    John_Graydon wrote:I would put the nest bowl in now at this time, wouldnt hold her back now.

I've disinfected the nest pans but i can't get to the pet shop until Saturday for the felt and nesting material Rolling Eyes I thought most breeders waited until the beginning of April so i've been trying to hold back.

I used carpet under lay, it is better & cheaper
    s25ale
    s25ale

Post  s25ale Sat Mar 05 2011, 08:38

Thanks Niall Smile Is carpet underlay safe? I'm assuming their are different types?

Gave the birdroom a good clean last night, the 2 fife hens are ripping up paper as quick as i put it on the cage floor. The 2 cocks have started carrying things in their mouth too. I've set a smoke bomb off this morning, will collect supplies this morning and have them set up by lunch.

When you remove the eggs how do they have to be stored? Pointy end up etc and do you have to turn them?

Post  Guest Sat Mar 05 2011, 08:55

s25ale wrote:Thanks Niall Smile Is carpet underlay safe? I'm assuming their are different types?

Gave the birdroom a good clean last night, the 2 fife hens are ripping up paper as quick as i put it on the cage floor. The 2 cocks have started carrying things in their mouth too. I've set a smoke bomb off this morning, will collect supplies this morning and have them set up by lunch.

When you remove the eggs how do they have to be stored? Pointy end up etc and do you have to turn them?

I just remove the eggs and lay them on their side and they dont need turning.
    Red devil
    Red devil

Post  Red devil Sat Mar 05 2011, 09:31

s25ale wrote:Thanks Niall Smile Is carpet underlay safe? I'm assuming their are different types?

I think the carpet under lay that is being referred to looks very similar to the nest felts.
    and believe it is quite difficult to get hold of nowadays.
    RayC
    RayC

Post  RayC Sat Mar 05 2011, 09:54

I use underlay too, can be easily got and a fraction of the price of felts, I got enough to last me for the next couple of years for a couple of quid, the underside is rubbery so it adheres to the nest pan with no slipping and is too heavy for the hen to pull out therefore no sewing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 12:16