Colour Canary Forum

Colour Canary Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Colour Canary Forum

All About Colour Canaries


welcome Assumite

david r
david r
Welcome Moderator

Posts : 1763
Join date : 2009-09-19
Age : 47
Location : Derry / Donegal

welcome Assumite  Empty welcome Assumite

Post  david r on Thu Sep 01 2011, 22:59

welcome Assumite to the colour canary forum cheers cheers please take the time to introduce yourself Embarassed Embarassed









_________________
David Ramsey

HE who is afraid of Asking is Ashamed of Learning..

Secretary / show Secretary  N.I.C.C.A / Zone
Treasurer U.R.C.C
Vice Chairman B.C.C.C

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Red devil
Red devil
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4771
Join date : 2011-02-13
Age : 62
Location : South Wales

welcome Assumite  Empty Re: welcome Assumite

Post  Red devil on Fri Sep 02 2011, 05:48

Hello Assumite and welcome to the colour canary forum.


Any questions just ask and I sure one of us will attempt to answer your querry
Just enjoy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
avatar
Guest
Guest

welcome Assumite  Empty Re: welcome Assumite

Post  Guest on Sun Sep 04 2011, 13:54

Thank you for the welcome. My interest is in Yellow Ground clears, so I guess I need all the help I can get Wink Very Happy I have an accidental interest in Recessive Whites following some surprise 'outcomes' this season, but they are shaping up into 'decent' surprises, I think.
Red devil
Red devil
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4771
Join date : 2011-02-13
Age : 62
Location : South Wales

welcome Assumite  Empty Re: welcome Assumite

Post  Red devil on Sun Sep 04 2011, 20:57

Assumite wrote:Thank you for the welcome. My interest is in Yellow Ground clears, so I guess I need all the help I can get Wink Very Happy I have an accidental interest in Recessive Whites following some surprise 'outcomes' this season, but they are shaping up into 'decent' surprises, I think.

I'm glad you have enjoyed what sounds like your first breeding season with coloured canary's.
I'm guessing that some one has given you advice about the recessive whites you have bred Question Question Question

and if I'm right you already know that the parents of the recessive whites if both are yellow are both carrying recessive white.

What ever help you require just ask.

Red Devil
avatar
Guest
Guest

welcome Assumite  Empty Re: welcome Assumite

Post  Guest on Sun Sep 04 2011, 21:57

Red devil wrote:I'm glad you have enjoyed what sounds like your first breeding season with coloured canary's.
I'm guessing that some one has given you advice about the recessive whites you have bred Question Question Question
and if I'm right you already know that the parents of the recessive whites if both are yellow are both carrying recessive white.
What ever help you require just ask.
Red Devil

To be honest - it my second season breeding Coloureds - but the first & second were 10 years or so apart, so I am, as far as Coloured Canaries are concerned, very much a beginner. The whites have 'cropped up' out of some (predominantly) Ivory birds & a Yellow 'carrier' which a 'neighbour' (I think ?) of yours was kind enough to let me have last Autumn Smile I knew the 'yellow' hen was a carrier - the Ivory cock came as a surprise to us both Rolling Eyes

I hoped there might be a few Yellow / Ivory Lipo fanciers in my area to exchange thoughts & perhaps some 'blood' with as time goes on. The 'yellow' carriers I hoped to breed ended up being a 'white' cock & two Recessive White Ivory hens, so I have found myself with out any 'quality' yellow blood to put back into the Ivories.

Having said that - I have a 'plan'....or at least, half a plan scratch to resolve the situation for this season if all goes well. If not, I will 'shout' up.



David McCool
David McCool
Admin

Posts : 2569
Join date : 2009-09-16
Age : 58
Location : Northern Ireland

welcome Assumite  Empty Re: welcome Assumite

Post  David McCool on Sun Sep 04 2011, 22:05

Welcome to the colour Canary forum assumite.
I hope your cuning plan work for you Very Happy
Red devil
Red devil
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4771
Join date : 2011-02-13
Age : 62
Location : South Wales

welcome Assumite  Empty Re: welcome Assumite

Post  Red devil on Sun Sep 04 2011, 23:04

Assumite wrote:
Red devil wrote:I'm glad you have enjoyed what sounds like your first breeding season with coloured canary's.
I'm guessing that some one has given you advice about the recessive whites you have bred Question Question Question
and if I'm right you already know that the parents of the recessive whites if both are yellow are both carrying recessive white.
What ever help you require just ask.
Red Devil

To be honest - it my second season breeding Coloureds - but the first & second were 10 years or so apart, so I am, as far as Coloured Canaries are concerned, very much a beginner. The whites have 'cropped up' out of some (predominantly) Ivory birds & a Yellow 'carrier' which a 'neighbour' (I think ?) of yours was kind enough to let me have last Autumn Smile I knew the 'yellow' hen was a carrier - the Ivory cock came as a surprise to us both Rolling Eyes

I hoped there might be a few Yellow / Ivory Lipo fanciers in my area to exchange thoughts & perhaps some 'blood' with as time goes on. The 'yellow' carriers I hoped to breed ended up being a 'white' cock & two Recessive White Ivory hens, so I have found myself with out any 'quality' yellow blood to put back into the Ivories.

Having said that - I have a 'plan'....or at least, half a plan scratch to resolve the situation for this season if all goes well. If not, I will 'shout' up.




I am very impressed with your minimal time with coloured canary's yet you have all the terms under control.
I also hope your plan comes to fruition as both Clear yellows and yelow ivory's are very thin on the ground in the UK
let alone the Midlands Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

There are one or two more Recessive White breeders though.
avatar
Guest
Guest

welcome Assumite  Empty Re: welcome Assumite

Post  Guest on Mon Sep 05 2011, 08:14


you have all the terms under control.
Hmm, not really - I still think of them as Gold's & Gold Ivories....& usually call them that Embarassed
Clear yellows and yelow ivory's are very thin on the ground in the UK
let alone the Midlands
Yes, I weighed that up as soon as the Forum let me "in".....I need to borrow Malky's red-tinted specs Razz .....but we have had that discussion already. Wink

There are one or two more Recessive White breeders though.
So I believe....there may be some options there, if they are working with quality yellow's as carriers & end up with a surplus of yellows. I'm not 'anti' White - not at all, a good bird, is a good bird. I wouldn't want them to become the focal point of the Shed, although they are what always attract the casual visitor. I'm not anti-red ground either, I just happen to like yellow ground Colour Canaries - in Lipochrome & 'Self' - I do wish there were more (good) yellow 'black' & 'agates' about to be able to get "into" without having to pay continental premiums.
I am not in any hurry, & hopefully, this might be the place to find them if they do come up - I know folks change 'tack' from time to time, so some may.
Red devil
Red devil
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4771
Join date : 2011-02-13
Age : 62
Location : South Wales

welcome Assumite  Empty Re: welcome Assumite

Post  Red devil on Mon Sep 05 2011, 10:50

Assumite wrote:

you have all the terms under control.
Hmm, not really - I still think of them as Gold's & Gold Ivories....& usually call them that Embarassed
Clear yellows and yelow ivory's are very thin on the ground in the UK
let alone the Midlands
Yes, I weighed that up as soon as the Forum let me "in".....I need to borrow Malky's red-tinted specs Razz .....but we have had that discussion already. Wink

There are one or two more Recessive White breeders though.
So I believe....there may be some options there, if they are working with quality yellow's as carriers & end up with a surplus of yellows. I'm not 'anti' White - not at all, a good bird, is a good bird. I wouldn't want them to become the focal point of the Shed, although they are what always attract the casual visitor. I'm not anti-red ground either, I just happen to like yellow ground Colour Canaries - in Lipochrome & 'Self' - I do wish there were more (good) yellow 'black' & 'agates' about to be able to get "into" without having to pay continental premiums.
I am not in any hurry, & hopefully, this might be the place to find them if they do come up - I know folks change 'tack' from time to time, so some may.

I do agree with your sentiment about European premiums,
You may have been mislead about Recessive white breeding as you do not need to breed Yellow carrying Recessive White X Recessive White they tend to breed them Recessive White X Recessive White.
I intend purchasing Yellow Agates this year myself but they will be purchased from Europe as you have said there are to many varieties very thin on the ground in the UK, or they are carrying a hiden mutation which is not what I want Mad Mad Mad
I also know of someone that breeds straight Yellow Blacks.
There is a possability that I will get Clear Yellows as well but not sure of my funds at the moment Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
avatar
Guest
Guest

welcome Assumite  Empty Re: welcome Assumite

Post  Guest on Mon Sep 05 2011, 11:45

Red devil wrote: You may have been mislead about Recessive white breeding as you do not need to breed Yellow carrying Recessive White X Recessive White they tend to breed them Recessive White X Recessive White.
Rolling Eyes I have mislead myself there ! I assumed that is how the 'yellow' hen came about & that it was the 'done' thing every couple of years or so.

Red devil wrote:I intend purchasing Yellow Agates this year myself but they will be purchased from Europe
I have been following the Skyrock 'Blog' & as best I can via Google Translate the discussion re. Northern Type v Southern Type. I am taken with the 'Northern' type.

Red devil wrote:they are carrying a hiden mutation which is not what I want
That is my concern with getting into 'Self's, wherever they are from, given the outlay. Again I have no qualms about developing & working 'forwards' through mutations, with my eyes open, I just don't want to be side-swiped by them.

Red devil wrote:I also know of someone that breeds straight Yellow Blacks.
That is interesting - around "us" or "over there" ?

Red devil wrote:There is a possibility that I will get Clear Yellows as well but not sure of my funds at the moment
I am hoping for confirmation of a previously placed speculative order/request - hence the "scratch" plan. If it comes off we will be on Beans on Toast for a month ( or two) pale Wink I hope ( & think) it will.....I think my wife hopes it might not Embarassed Razz

Sponsored content

welcome Assumite  Empty Re: welcome Assumite

Post  Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Wed Jan 20 2021, 07:23