Colour Canary Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Colour Canary Forum

Colour Canary Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Colour Canary Forum

All About Colour Canaries

+6
r.costellow
bodgeat303
DanH
Ninetails
AndyB
zipdogso
10 posters

comments on Zipdogso diary...March 2012

Ninetails
    Ninetails
    A Grade Exhibitor (Aust)

comments on Zipdogso diary...March 2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: comments on Zipdogso diary...March 2012

Post  Ninetails Wed Mar 28 2012, 13:22

Farex baby cereal fed on a toothpick.
    Mixing in or replacing with straight eggfood as they get older, moist just enough so that it doesnt slide off the toothpick. Very scientific Wink
    zipdogso
    zipdogso
    Breeders Group

comments on Zipdogso diary...March 2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: comments on Zipdogso diary...March 2012

Post  zipdogso Thu Mar 29 2012, 13:22

I'd rather use the syringe than a blunt toothpick BUT having said that you need one that works well and the food has got to be well mixed so there is no lumps.
    I could imagine an accidental big squirt would not only upset a chick but potentially choke it, it is quite trick sometimes to be gentle on the plunger.
    Other than that I have been very pleasantly surprised with the ease of doing this and it does seem to be benefitting the chicks....why I never done it before I just don't know.....

I havent looked yet but do the parrot crop feeding syringes have bigger nozzles ???
    Anyone know ?
    Ninetails
    Ninetails
    A Grade Exhibitor (Aust)

Post  Ninetails Thu Mar 29 2012, 13:37

I used to use the syringes but ran up against the lumps when the young needed more than runny Farex.

And yes the toothpicks are blunt. I either cut the sharp ends off or if I'm in a Chuck Norris mood, I'll bite them off!
    Ninetails
    Ninetails
    A Grade Exhibitor (Aust)

Post  Ninetails Sun Apr 01 2012, 13:18

What do you mean by "waste of a ring"? You're not telling us you cant bite (well cut maybe) the foot off of a dead bird???
    hillie
    hillie
    Up and Coming Champion

Post  hillie Sun Apr 01 2012, 13:38

Ninetails wrote:What do you mean by "waste of a ring"? You're not telling us you cant bite (well cut maybe) the foot off of a dead bird???

My thoughts as well it's all ready dead, but glad to here your filling some eggs now to get them to the sticks and the best of luck with the rest of your season
    zipdogso
    zipdogso
    Breeders Group

Post  zipdogso Sun Apr 01 2012, 14:05

Actually this afternoon I did manage to wrestle the ring back off but then it I dropped it and it rolled off into a corner somewhere. I will find it when I next sweep through. I am not too fussy about it, but yes I dont normally remove rings, if the bird dies... it's gone, it will muck up my records to start reuseing it...

I hadn't intended to make a big thing of it..."waste of a ring" was my thought at the time of writing but really it doesnt bother me.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 15:38