Colour Canary Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Colour Canary Forum

Colour Canary Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Colour Canary Forum

All About Colour Canaries

3 posters

Hello all friends.

italomiricanu

Hello all friends. Empty Hello all friends.

Post  italomiricanu Sun Dec 29 2013, 21:48

Hello from San Francisco California. Just find out about this site and im very happy to see all this good info I can learn from you guys. Im only at my second year of raising canary, last year my next door neighbor sold a pair and lucky enough they made 8 babys all good healthy and alive. Now im thinking to start pairing the bird but I heard I shouldn't breed brother and sisters canary ?

Thank you and Happy new Year
    johnboy
    johnboy

Hello all friends. Empty Re: Hello all friends.

Post  johnboy Mon Dec 30 2013, 13:13

whoever told you not to breed brother to sister is wrong,,,it can be and is done in line breeding,,,though a better way of line breeding is father to daughter and mother to son,,,this multiplies the cocks and hens genes in the progeny respectively,,,if you look on the net you will find different opinions on line breeding,,,but imo pair best to best and you hope for the best,,,wether they are related or not,,,this is a sure way of getting the best from your birds,,,but as with any method of breeding it has its good and bad points,,,johnboy... Very Happy Very Happy 
    Red devil
    Red devil

Post  Red devil Mon Dec 30 2013, 14:30

Here is were you find someone to disagree with what has been said.
    I would never knowingly pair Brother X Sister
    Yes I would consider Father X Daughter and Mother X Son
    But that is as close as I would ever go.

Isn't it possible to swap a pair of your youngsters with your neighbour so that you have outcrosses.

I hope this helps.
    johnboy
    johnboy

Post  johnboy Mon Dec 30 2013, 15:43

Red devil wrote:Here is were you find someone to disagree with what has been said.
    I would never knowingly pair Brother X Sister
    Yes I would consider Father X Daughter and Mother X Son
    But that is as close as I would ever go.

Isn't it possible to swap a pair of your youngsters with your neighbour so that you have outcrosses.

I hope this helps.
    no more danger than the pairings you have stated red,,,the only objection I would think being no new genes (genetic diversity),,,as you are only reproducing the genes of the original cross ie father x mother,,,as where you breed father x daughter you multiply his genes in the next generation etc,,,though I do agree he could swap a few birds,,,johnboy...
    italomiricanu

Post  italomiricanu Mon Dec 30 2013, 15:59

Hi Johnboy and Red devil.
    Yes i think i will breed them the way you both are talking about mother/son and father/daughter,and still remaining 4 girl and 2 boys that I'll like to find the best possible match for them.So they are all most all light pinkish orange and I will like to mix them with different color,what would you suggest? Ah one more thing After reading a little more about cross breeding with different finches I really like to Try this out with a red siskin or and gold finch if I can only find them around here its harder then in Europe. A little help please ??
    Thank you

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 07:54