Colour Canary Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Colour Canary Forum

Colour Canary Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Colour Canary Forum

All About Colour Canaries

+9
chrisp
GeoffW
Red devil
John_Graydon
Tony H
David McCool
Dennis
Jamieg
ste1960
13 posters

What are my Fifes ?

ste1960
    ste1960
    Breeders Group

What are my Fifes ? Empty What are my Fifes ?

Post  ste1960 Wed Jan 25 2012, 15:56

Having read this section, would I be correct in saying that both my Fifes are :-

Intensive Clear Yellow Lipochrome Question

What are my Fifes ? P1252107
    What are my Fifes ? P1252104
    What are my Fifes ? P1252093
    What are my Fifes ? P1252101
    What are my Fifes ? P1252089
    Jamieg
    Jamieg

What are my Fifes ? Empty Re: What are my Fifes ?

Post  Jamieg Wed Jan 25 2012, 16:29

Ar they fifes mate Do not look like fifes to me Question
    Dennis
    Dennis

Post  Dennis Wed Jan 25 2012, 16:34

They dont look like fives, ah bit to big for me to be fives, they look more like 7 or 8 to me.
    David McCool
    David McCool
    Admin

Post  David McCool Wed Jan 25 2012, 16:38

Was going to say the same myself they are intensive yellow feather birds [ie yellow feather] they look more like colour canaries than fife, although on saying that the last photo is showing a bit more fife type.
    Tony H
    Tony H

Post  Tony H Wed Jan 25 2012, 16:52

Forgive me but intensive,non intensive and mosaic are coloured canary and stafford feather types. In fifes they have only yellow and buff feather types as in most canaries,excepting lizards where they have siver and gold. So your birds without any melanin markings are clear yellow Fifes. Laughing
    John_Graydon
    John_Graydon

Post  John_Graydon Wed Jan 25 2012, 16:53

No shape of a fife in them + Too Big.

Post  Guest Wed Jan 25 2012, 17:01

Hmm.....confusing isn't it Razz

No....(if) they are Fifes, so none of the above applies, they are 'clears' & if they are not Buffs, they are "yellows". Yellow being a 'feather' type ( as opposed to buff)not a colour, hence you can have "self" green or cinnamon (brown) Fifes which are 'yellows' because it denotes the feather type.

Yellow = Intensive / Non frosted

Buff = Non Intensive / Frosted

Clear Yellow Lipochrome is terminology devoted to Colour Canaries.....

Last edited by Assumite on Wed Jan 25 2012, 17:02; edited 1 time in total
    Dennis
    Dennis

Post  Dennis Wed Jan 25 2012, 17:01

I always used to believe that Buff is Non -intensive, & Yellow was Intensive. That is what I was told.
    It is the same just different names, well It is never to old to learn.
    Just like Bronze & Red Blacks.
    John_Graydon
    John_Graydon

Post  John_Graydon Wed Jan 25 2012, 17:04

Dennis wrote: I always used to believe that Buff is Non -intensive, & Yellow was Intensive. That is what I was told.
    It is the same just different names, well It is never to old to learn.
    Just like Bronze & Red Blacks.

Frosted and apricot as well Dennis. I still call them Apricot to myself..lol
    ste1960
    ste1960
    Breeders Group

Post  ste1960 Wed Jan 25 2012, 18:23

WOW Rolling Eyes

I didn't realise I would cause such debate.

I'm very, very confused.

So, what are my birds then guys. Question

Regards from confused novice
    Red devil
    Red devil

Post  Red devil Wed Jan 25 2012, 18:48

ste1960 wrote:WOW Rolling Eyes

I didn't realise I would cause such debate.

I'm very, very confused.

So, what are my birds then guys. Question

Regards from confused novice

What is happening is that those who have posted are looking to far into your photo's.

Yes if you go by the photo's they don't look much like Fifes they are a posture variety plus that is what you bought them as Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

And yes they are both yellow in colour and feather quality as has been discribed all ready.

I hope this helps.
    GeoffW
    GeoffW

Post  GeoffW Wed Jan 25 2012, 18:50

Why not go to a Fife canary site and ask them. This site is for coloured canaries.
    chrisp
    chrisp
    Champion Exhibitor

Post  chrisp Wed Jan 25 2012, 18:54

First off steve type canaries i.e. fifes ,borders etc use a different terminology than colour canaries. If you consider them colour canaries then they would be yellow lipochrome, if you use fife terminology then they would be clear yellow birds of yellow feather.
    forest2709
    forest2709

What are my Fifes ? Empty what are my fifes

Post  forest2709 Wed Jan 25 2012, 19:18

GeoffW

tut tut tut the guys only asking, it might be a colour canary forum but with a remark like ask a Fife forum,
    no wonder people come in to the fancy and go straight out again, he might of tried coloured if helped for all you know
    i expect he thought with all the knowledge people have on here someone might of had fifes before coloureds and be able to help.
    Help & advice doesn't cost anything

Forest2709
    Mooned 'Uns
    Mooned 'Uns

Post  Mooned 'Uns Wed Jan 25 2012, 19:25

Hiya,
    i now run a bird auction every fortnight and tons of birds resembling them do get put in for sale as " fifes " we just auction them as canaries, they're deffinately not fifes as the size and body shape are all wrong,most of the bidders/buyers use them as feeders as they go dirt cheap and are sold in buff/yellow pairings..
    They're both yellow canaries if your breeding them for pleasure or to get into canaries try to source a couple of buffs and put them too them, if you search for pics of fifes you'll see the difference in body shape and size..
    Don't be put off by being a novice mate we ALL started there and it's a learning curve, hopefully someone didn't sell you them as a pair of "Fifes" ..
    If you need any further help mate send me a message and i'll give you some other forums/websites that may be able to help you more..

Steve
    David McCool
    David McCool
    Admin

Post  David McCool Wed Jan 25 2012, 19:26

ste, if you have any further questions to ask about your birds please ask, as there are plenty of members willing to help out.

johnboy
    johnboy

Post  johnboy Wed Jan 25 2012, 19:29

David McCool wrote:ste, if you have any further questions to ask about your birds please ask, as there are plenty of members willing to help out.

i totally agree with this,,,i am sure i aint the only one that keeps more than one type of bird and i am willing to try and help anyone,,,johnboy...
    ste1960
    ste1960
    Breeders Group

Post  ste1960 Wed Jan 25 2012, 19:52

Thanks for the last few posts guys.

you explained it in simple terms that I understood.

Basically I've got 2 lovely yellow lipochrome that I'm happy with.

Hopefully one of them will be confirmed as a hen so I will have a pair (fingers crossed)

If not, I've still got 2 nice birds.

Much obliged guys Wink
    Jamieg
    Jamieg

Post  Jamieg Wed Jan 25 2012, 19:57

I'm not a big bird man but pm me if I can help Very Happy
    jamie lee
    jamie lee

Post  jamie lee Wed Jan 25 2012, 21:22

they look like fife x irish fancy to me

Post  Guest Wed Jan 25 2012, 23:43

ste1960 wrote:
    Hopefully one of them will be confirmed as a hen so I will have a pair (fingers crossed)

You may have a 'pair', but they are not, I would suggest, an appropriate "pair" to breed with. They are already tending towards "typeless" & 'mean' & if you 'double-yellow' with those birds they will almost certainly produce progeny which are even more so.

I have no qualms about trying to offer 'advice', ......makes no odds to me whether it is listened to or ignored. There are Redpoll's in trios for sale on the J.W. I think this "Diamond Geezer" bloke is offloading some fairly dubious birds onto you. He certainly is not looking after you. You've got an "odd" Grenfinch, an "odd" Harlequin, an "odd" variegated, un-sexed Fife'ish, an odd Redpoll, because the hen didn't last 5 minites & "2" Goldfinches, which may or may not be a pair ?? Geoff's advice is 'sound', if harsh. I like to think mine is too, but you are not doing yourself any good by deciding to call x-breeds "Yellow Lipochrome's" just to justify keeping them & if you do, you at least need to try to find some "buffs" so you make appropriate pairings, for the sake of the chicks ?

I would get the contact details for the Redpolls & get shot of the odd's & ends. It costs just as much to feed 'pet shop' birds as it does something meaningful ? At this rate your canaries will 'mess up' your prospects with those British. You want to be filling your 'stock/breeding' cages with chicks, not someone elses 'cast-offs' & odds & sods......or you will have no room left before you start.
    Red devil
    Red devil

Post  Red devil Wed Jan 25 2012, 23:57

That is sound advice there Nigel and a good point very direct.
    ste1960
    ste1960
    Breeders Group

Post  ste1960 Thu Jan 26 2012, 11:00

Assumite wrote:
    ste1960 wrote:

You may have a 'pair', but they are not, I would suggest, an appropriate "pair" to breed with. They are already tending towards "typeless" & 'mean' & if you 'double-yellow' with those birds they will almost certainly produce progeny which are even more so.

I have no qualms about trying to offer 'advice', ......makes no odds to me whether it is listened to or ignored. There are Redpoll's in trios for sale on the J.W. I think this "Diamond Geezer" bloke is offloading some fairly dubious birds onto you. He certainly is not looking after you. You've got an "odd" Grenfinch, an "odd" Harlequin, an "odd" variegated, un-sexed Fife'ish, an odd Redpoll, because the hen didn't last 5 minites & "2" Goldfinches, which may or may not be a pair ?? Geoff's advice is 'sound', if harsh. I like to think mine is too, but you are not doing yourself any good by deciding to call x-breeds "Yellow Lipochrome's" just to justify keeping them & if you do, you at least need to try to find some "buffs" so you make appropriate pairings, for the sake of the chicks ?

I would get the contact details for the Redpolls & get shot of the odd's & ends. It costs just as much to feed 'pet shop' birds as it does something meaningful ? At this rate your canaries will 'mess up' your prospects with those British. You want to be filling your 'stock/breeding' cages with chicks, not someone elses 'cast-offs' & odds & sods......or you will have no room left before you start.

Thanks for your direct comments.

I have no problems at all with receiving direct comments like yours, as long as they are constructive that is.

I will take on board your comments & have a good think.

The canaries in question were given to me, not payed for.
    These were simply to get me going to learn about setting things up, because as I have been told on numerous occasions, there are very few good birds for sale at this time of year, with most for sale being the ones breeders want to get rid of due them not being up to scratch etc.

I am already arranging to go to my first ever Canary meeting in Stafford next month with someone off here, where, hopefully I will meet some good contacts to help me plan for what this years birds I will be getting hold of later on this year.

I already have an idea what Canaries I want to breed.

I'm going to narrow down on what I am going to keep and select carefully.

So, thanks for your comments. Wink

Post  Guest Thu Jan 26 2012, 11:18

"I've just started up keeping birds this year, so i've got some breeding cage space for anyone local to keep some birds in if your struggling for space.
    Canaries, finches etc.
    Greater Manchester M29 post code "

As posted elsewhere....is this how you intend to cut down & focus Steve ? I begin to wonder whether you actually want, or are prepared to be "helped" / advised ? It is a shame if people trying to support you in your new hobby become so frustrated that they think the credibility of the Forum is being diminished to the extent that they leave ?

Especially if those participants are of the caliber of Geoff Walker. As someone said to me regarding another Forum where the core principals were usurped "all the noise is at the shallow end" Neutral

Never mind........... Suspect I won't waste any more time.....silent

I'll leave it to the 'dealers' & the messer's to sort you out....

Red devil
    Red devil

Post  Red devil Thu Jan 26 2012, 12:03

Assumite wrote:"I've just started up keeping birds this year, so i've got some breeding cage space for anyone local to keep some birds in if your struggling for space.
    Canaries, finches etc.
    Greater Manchester M29 post code "

As posted elsewhere....is this how you intend to cut down & focus Steve ? I begin to wonder whether you actually want, or are prepared to be "helped" / advised ? It is a shame if people trying to support you in your new hobby become so frustrated that they think the credibility of the Forum is being diminished to the extent that they leave ?

Especially if those participants are of the caliber of Geoff Walker. As someone said to me regarding another Forum where the core principals were usurped "all the noise is at the shallow end" Neutral

Never mind........... Suspect I won't waste any more time.....silent

I'll leave it to the 'dealers' & the messer's to sort you out....

Nigel your getting a little hot under the collar here.

It has been Geoff's decision to leave and no one has forced him to go.

We have had a statement off the site owner that we are a Colour Canary Forum but welcomes any topic bird related.

you your self have commented many times about Lizards, but I don't see that many people abusing you for it Question Question Question Question Question

Please calm it down especially when people enter our great hobby at the wrong time of year, this is not the way to keep people interested.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10 2024, 09:27