Colour Canary Forum

Colour Canary Forum

All About Colour Canaries


    i like this bird.

    Share
    avatar
    r.costellow
    Champion Exhibitor

    Posts : 1836
    Join date : 2010-08-08
    Age : 63
    Location : lincolnshire

    i like this bird.

    Post  r.costellow on Thu Aug 06 2015, 10:21

    Yellow agate intensive. parents yellow agate non/int cock split for cobalt and a visual cobalt hen intensive.










    _________________
    My 2012 Diary
    avatar
    GeoffW

    Posts : 1049
    Join date : 2009-09-21

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  GeoffW on Thu Aug 06 2015, 10:30

    Looks like a strongly marked isabel Bob. Is it singing?
    avatar
    r.costellow
    Champion Exhibitor

    Posts : 1836
    Join date : 2010-08-08
    Age : 63
    Location : lincolnshire

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  r.costellow on Thu Aug 06 2015, 10:45

    GeoffW wrote:Looks like a strongly marked isabel Bob. Is it singing?



    not seen it yet Geoff , Got a camera set on it to see.
    It might be from if they used it in earlier breedings to thin the lines down.so if that is the case it should be a hen. I think !!


    _________________
    My 2012 Diary
    avatar
    GeoffW

    Posts : 1049
    Join date : 2009-09-21

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  GeoffW on Thu Aug 06 2015, 12:42

    From the photos it looks to me that the head striations are coming down to the edge of the beak, which is of course a clue that it might be a hen. If it is an isabel your cock bird must be a carrier, and the bird itself is . as you say a hen. You might like to check the underflu colour against a known agate.
    avatar
    r.costellow
    Champion Exhibitor

    Posts : 1836
    Join date : 2010-08-08
    Age : 63
    Location : lincolnshire

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  r.costellow on Mon Aug 10 2015, 08:51

    GeoffW wrote:From the photos it looks to me that the head striations are coming down to the edge of the beak, which is of course a clue that it might be a hen. If it is an isabel your cock bird must be a carrier, and the bird itself is . as you say a hen. You might like to check the underflu colour against a known agate.




    Hi Geoff,
            I don't think it is an Isabel with the under flue this colour.




    _________________
    My 2012 Diary
    avatar
    GeoffW

    Posts : 1049
    Join date : 2009-09-21

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  GeoffW on Mon Aug 10 2015, 09:01

    I agree Bob. You said mum was a cobalt, but is she black or agate?
    avatar
    r.costellow
    Champion Exhibitor

    Posts : 1836
    Join date : 2010-08-08
    Age : 63
    Location : lincolnshire

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  r.costellow on Mon Aug 10 2015, 09:20

    GeoffW wrote:I agree Bob. You said mum was a cobalt, but is she black or agate?



    Yellow agate cobalt. I put pics of the two in one cage. under Mother and offspring


    _________________
    My 2012 Diary
    avatar
    GeoffW

    Posts : 1049
    Join date : 2009-09-21

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  GeoffW on Mon Aug 10 2015, 16:23

    Bob

    How close would you say the actual colour of the bird in your shed is compared to the version we are seeing on the forum? Regardless of the underfly colour, I still see classic isabel. I have had a look at the mum/offspring photo and cannot see enough of mum to have any opinion whatever. Did you breed or buy her?
    avatar
    r.costellow
    Champion Exhibitor

    Posts : 1836
    Join date : 2010-08-08
    Age : 63
    Location : lincolnshire

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  r.costellow on Mon Aug 10 2015, 20:13

    GeoffW wrote:Bob

    How close would you say the actual colour of the bird in your shed is compared to the version we are seeing on the forum? Regardless of the underfly colour, I still see classic isabel. I have had a look at the mum/offspring photo and cannot see enough of mum to have any opinion whatever. Did you breed or buy her?


    The colour is the same as you see .the hen y a I bought in as I did with the carrier cock non/int and a visual y.a cobalt cock non/int


    _________________
    My 2012 Diary
    avatar
    GeoffW

    Posts : 1049
    Join date : 2009-09-21

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  GeoffW on Mon Aug 10 2015, 21:19

    Thanks Bob

    Can you put photos up of the parents please.
    avatar
    r.costellow
    Champion Exhibitor

    Posts : 1836
    Join date : 2010-08-08
    Age : 63
    Location : lincolnshire

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  r.costellow on Mon Aug 10 2015, 21:49

    GeoffW wrote:Thanks Bob

    Can you put photos up of the parents please.


    Will do tomorrow.


    _________________
    My 2012 Diary
    avatar
    r.costellow
    Champion Exhibitor

    Posts : 1836
    Join date : 2010-08-08
    Age : 63
    Location : lincolnshire

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  r.costellow on Tue Aug 11 2015, 14:17

    mother. yellow agate int cobalt.



    father. yellow agate non/int split for cobalt.



    _________________
    My 2012 Diary
    avatar
    GeoffW

    Posts : 1049
    Join date : 2009-09-21

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  GeoffW on Tue Aug 11 2015, 14:57

    Thanks Bob. Cock is certainly an agate. Can I be a complete pain and ask you to hold the hen upside down in your hand and photograph her chest/vent area please?

    avatar
    r.costellow
    Champion Exhibitor

    Posts : 1836
    Join date : 2010-08-08
    Age : 63
    Location : lincolnshire

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  r.costellow on Tue Aug 11 2015, 17:41

    GeoffW wrote:Thanks Bob. Cock is certainly an agate. Can I be a complete pain and ask you to hold the hen upside down in your hand and photograph her chest/vent area please?


    Mother.







    The offspring.




    _________________
    My 2012 Diary
    avatar
    GeoffW

    Posts : 1049
    Join date : 2009-09-21

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  GeoffW on Tue Aug 11 2015, 18:17

    Thanks Bob

    TonyH you probably have more experience with intensive agate cobalts than anyone else on the forum. Is mum a cobalt? I havn't seen too many, and certainly have never bred with them, unlike you. I am fairly certain that the chick is not. The lipochrome also seems too lemon like , rather than greenish to be an agate.

    serin

    Posts : 97
    Join date : 2011-12-27
    Age : 64
    Location : Paris

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  serin on Wed Aug 12 2015, 10:27

    if pair really is male agate carrier for cobalt x hen agate cobalt the expected results are :
    50 % agate cobalt and 50 % agate carrier for cobalt
    I believe you are just unlucky this time as this chick is just agate carrier for cobalt (the area below doesn't possess the greyish tinge of the mother allover her underparts)
    avatar
    r.costellow
    Champion Exhibitor

    Posts : 1836
    Join date : 2010-08-08
    Age : 63
    Location : lincolnshire

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  r.costellow on Wed Aug 12 2015, 14:20

    serin wrote:if pair really is male agate carrier for cobalt x hen agate cobalt the expected results are :
    50 % agate cobalt and 50 % agate carrier for cobalt
    I believe you are just unlucky this time as this chick is just agate carrier for cobalt (the area below doesn't possess the greyish tinge of the mother allover her underparts)



    I realise that Serin but it is the amount of the brown on it that what is the puzzle.
    cheers


    _________________
    My 2012 Diary

    serin

    Posts : 97
    Join date : 2011-12-27
    Age : 64
    Location : Paris

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  serin on Wed Aug 12 2015, 16:04

    I heard that people introduce the optical blue factor in cobalt birds to get rid of the phaeo. Could it be the case that only one of its genitor possess this factor ?


    Last edited by serin on Wed Aug 12 2015, 16:12; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : err)
    avatar
    GeoffW

    Posts : 1049
    Join date : 2009-09-21

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  GeoffW on Wed Aug 12 2015, 18:29

    Optical blue reduces phaeomelanin, it does not change the colour of eumelanin. It the eumelanin colour we are discussing.
    avatar
    Red devil
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 4732
    Join date : 2011-02-13
    Age : 59
    Location : South Wales

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  Red devil on Fri Aug 21 2015, 06:58

    Just looking at this thread and the photo's I agree with Geoff but I also question what the hen is, the few dark striations in the flights look brown to me and not black.
    Can you confirm this please Bob.
    I don't have any books with me at the moment as I'm still working away.


    Last edited by Red devil on Fri Aug 21 2015, 11:34; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Red devil
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 4732
    Join date : 2011-02-13
    Age : 59
    Location : South Wales

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  Red devil on Fri Aug 21 2015, 07:16

    Just had a look at the identification thread I have produced on the forum, and although the striations seems to get subdued they still look black giving the bird in Intensive feather a grass green colouration, but the photo's I have discovered are few so I'm going to make it my mission to find some more Cobalts in as many of the Classic as I can in all Lipochrome colours.

    raymond73

    Posts : 38
    Join date : 2013-02-28
    Age : 44
    Location : Dublin

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  raymond73 on Mon Aug 24 2015, 21:24

    GeoffW wrote:Optical blue reduces phaeomelanin, it does not change the colour of eumelanin. It the eumelanin colour we are discussing.
    Might be a silly question. If optical blue reduces phaeomelanin what could be used to inhance it.
    avatar
    GeoffW

    Posts : 1049
    Join date : 2009-09-21

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  GeoffW on Tue Aug 25 2015, 07:29

    I am only aware of selective breeding.

    raymond73

    Posts : 38
    Join date : 2013-02-28
    Age : 44
    Location : Dublin

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  raymond73 on Tue Aug 25 2015, 16:17

    GeoffW wrote:I am only aware of selective breeding.
    Thanks again Geoff

    Sponsored content

    Re: i like this bird.

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Sep 22 2017, 07:16