Colour Canary Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Colour Canary Forum

Colour Canary Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Colour Canary Forum

All About Colour Canaries

3 posters

Red Ivory Rubinos

BlueCobalt
    BlueCobalt

Red Ivory Rubinos Empty Red Ivory Rubinos

Post  BlueCobalt Sat Apr 23 2011, 22:27

Will try to post a picture over the weekend, but couldnt believe it! Looked in the nest of Red Ivorys today and not one but two PROPER red eyed youngsters, they look to all intense and purpose to be clear satinetes, mum and dad feeding them well, so if they manage to get to weaning stage they will be definite hens!!
    Red devil
    Red devil

Red Ivory Rubinos Empty Re: Red Ivory Rubinos

Post  Red devil Sat Apr 23 2011, 22:51

BlueCobalt wrote:Will try to post a picture over the weekend, but couldnt believe it! Looked in the nest of Red Ivorys today and not one but two PROPER red eyed youngsters, they look to all intense and purpose to be clear satinetes, mum and dad feeding them well, so if they manage to get to weaning stage they will be definite hens!!

Are you sure or are both parents carrying a recessive gene lol! lol! lol!

You know what you said earlier in the breeding season about expectation when red eyed chicks turn up lol! lol! lol! lol!
    BlueCobalt
    BlueCobalt

Post  BlueCobalt Sat Apr 23 2011, 23:09

Yes but these are proper eyes, not like nialls that could not be seen, will take a picture tomorrow or Monday as should be fully open then!
    Red devil
    Red devil

Post  Red devil Sat Apr 23 2011, 23:25

BlueCobalt wrote:Yes but these are proper eyes, not like nialls that could not be seen, will take a picture tomorrow or Monday as should be fully open then!

You know me butty if you give it expect it back lol! lol! lol!
    BlueCobalt
    BlueCobalt

Post  BlueCobalt Sat Apr 23 2011, 23:38

Well like I said at the time, if you can't see it (eye colour) how can you make a judgement!
    At least my findings are based on fact not guesswork! bounce
    Red devil
    Red devil

Post  Red devil Sat Apr 23 2011, 23:44

BlueCobalt wrote:Well like I said at the time, if you can't see it (eye colour) how can you make a judgement!
    At least my findings are based on fact not guesswork! bounce

Ah yes but you are guessing though as you don't know for sure if it's a sex linked recessive
    or just a recessive requiring both parents to have a least a gene each lol! lol! lol! lol!
    BlueCobalt
    BlueCobalt

Post  BlueCobalt Sun Apr 24 2011, 00:03

Afraid not! No guessing here, know 100%, but will keep you guessing!
    BlueCobalt
    BlueCobalt

Post  BlueCobalt Sun Apr 24 2011, 00:22

Afraid not! No guessing here, know 100%, but will keep you guessing!
    Red devil
    Red devil

Post  Red devil Sun Apr 24 2011, 12:28

BlueCobalt wrote:Afraid not! No guessing here, know 100%, but will keep you guessing!

How can you be 100% ????
    How far back can you go for both parents ????
    And who's to say that they haven't been carring a hiden gene in the stud from before you got then ?????

I remember many years ago when I was just a novice purchasing a pair of mosaic red isabel pastels.
    As luck would have it I lost the cock bird Mad Mad Mad Mad
    Not having anything else in the shed suitable to pair the hen to I searched the country and
    all that I could find was a mosaic red brown split for isabel/pastel cheers cheers cheers
    Right this is where it gets interesting both birds came from the opposite end of the country.

I had a very good breeding season with the pair and breed about 6 - 8 youngsters can't remember exact number
    once the chicks had moulted they left me a little confused as I had expected to breed
    Mosic red brown's
    mosaic red brown /iasbel pastel's

But what I actually got was
    mosiac red isabel pastel's
    mosaic red phaeo [ which when shown at one took best novice phaeo]
    mosic red brown topaz.

Hope this helps you Bluecobalt
    BlueCobalt
    BlueCobalt

Post  BlueCobalt Sun Apr 24 2011, 20:02

Well let's just say the breeder the red ivorys came from has confirmed what I suspected, think I will take my steer from him as he has been breeding his stud for over 20 years! So now know I have two rubino hens in the nest, and could be shown here also as I believe we do not look at eye colour!

Post  Guest Sun Apr 24 2011, 22:33

Blue, just so im getting the correct drift, in the old terminology you have two red eyed rose Lipochrome chicks or have i got it wrong scratch
    BlueCobalt
    BlueCobalt

Post  BlueCobalt Sun Apr 24 2011, 22:50

Correct Malky 2- lipochrome rose red eyed chicks (satinette red) will post in a moment for others to see, Rubino I believe they call them over the water!!

Post  Guest Sun Apr 24 2011, 23:25

BlueCobalt wrote:Correct Malky 2- lipochrome rose red eyed chicks (satinette red) will post in a moment for others to see, Rubino I believe they call them over the water!!

Was that the reason for pairing self to clear somewhere along the line.

BlueCobalt
    BlueCobalt

Post  BlueCobalt Sun Apr 24 2011, 23:43

Malky do you mean me? No my pairing red ivory lipochrome x red ivory lipochrome, abroad they created a red bird with red eyed rubino, not that it really floats my boat, but you get what you got! I know many clear breeders abroad dabble in rubinos, therefore I am led to believe inheritance is the same as Satinette so the cock can be split, hen normal and then can throw females with red eyes! I am sure others may know more? Think he could also produce normal hens too?
    Red devil
    Red devil

Post  Red devil Sun Apr 24 2011, 23:47

BlueCobalt wrote:Malky do you mean me? No my pairing red ivory lipochrome x red ivory lipochrome, abroad they created a red bird with red eyed rubino, not that it really floats my boat, but you get what you got! I know many clear breeders abroad dabble in rubinos, therefore I am led to believe inheritance is the same as Satinette so the cock can be split, hen normal and then can throw females with red eyes! I am sure others may know more? Think he could also produce normal hens too?

I like your optimism Lets hope your right Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post  Guest Mon Apr 25 2011, 10:15

BlueCobalt wrote:Malky do you mean me? No my pairing red ivory lipochrome x red ivory lipochrome, abroad they created a red bird with red eyed rubino, not that it really floats my boat, but you get what you got! I know many clear breeders abroad dabble in rubinos, therefore I am led to believe inheritance is the same as Satinette so the cock can be split, hen normal and then can throw females with red eyes! I am sure others may know more? Think he could also produce normal hens too?

No Blue i didnt mean you i meant somewhere down the line (should have said that in the first place)so in all intents and purposes they are just red ivory with red eyes? an interesting point, when the new dimorphic first appeared my late partner bred some young with red eyes what would these have been called??
    BlueCobalt
    BlueCobalt

Post  BlueCobalt Mon Apr 25 2011, 10:48

Malky same nowadays, mosaic rubino, Geoff will know better, but am guessing they used red agate satinettes ( visually clear birds anyhow!) in the early days! As I say they don't do it for me visually, perhaps they will grow on me, at least I know they are two hens should they live to maturity!

Post  Guest Mon Apr 25 2011, 11:09

BlueCobalt wrote:Malky same nowadays, mosaic rubino, Geoff will know better, but am guessing they used red agate satinettes ( visually clear birds anyhow!) in the early days! As I say they don't do it for me visually, perhaps they will grow on me, at least I know they are two hens should they live to maturity!

Hardly seems worth the trouble when all it appears to produce is red eyed birds, as you say it does nothing for me either. In this case pointless experimentation, the only plus as i see it is instant identification of hen birds which is very helpful,will be interesting to see how many (if any) normal red ivory hens are produced in the same nests.
    Red devil
    Red devil

Post  Red devil Mon Apr 25 2011, 18:10

Malky wrote:
    BlueCobalt wrote:Malky same nowadays, mosaic rubino, Geoff will know better, but am guessing they used red agate satinettes ( visually clear birds anyhow!) in the early days! As I say they don't do it for me visually, perhaps they will grow on me, at least I know they are two hens should they live to maturity!

Hardly seems worth the trouble when all it appears to produce is red eyed birds, as you say it does nothing for me either. In this case pointless experimentation, the only plus as i see it is instant identification of hen birds which is very helpful,will be interesting to see how many (if any) normal red ivory hens are produced in the same nests.

I believe the reason they are bred is to increase the number of classes they can enter clears in.
    As Rubino's go in a different class on the continent.
    BlueCobalt
    BlueCobalt

Post  BlueCobalt Mon Apr 25 2011, 18:17

Only 26 entered last year in red, red ivory int & non, so don't think it's the only reason, more as Malky said someone experimenting! Perhaps another trend and the ability to charge more??
    Don't know if they charge more for rubino?

Post  Guest Mon Apr 25 2011, 18:25

BlueCobalt wrote:Only 26 entered last year in red, red ivory int & non, so don't think it's the only reason, more as Malky said someone experimenting! Perhaps another trend and the ability to charge more??

If its different only by a little the fools will line up to buy.
    Red devil
    Red devil

Post  Red devil Mon Apr 25 2011, 19:21

Malky wrote:
    BlueCobalt wrote:Only 26 entered last year in red, red ivory int & non, so don't think it's the only reason, more as Malky said someone experimenting! Perhaps another trend and the ability to charge more??

If its different only by a little the fools will line up to buy.

I'm sure your right Malky
    joe90
    joe90

Post  joe90 Mon Apr 25 2011, 20:53

Any pic of these birds yet Simon.

I am a bit lost as to how you know they are hens, how would you also know they are Robino,s if the eye,s not open yet?
    BlueCobalt
    BlueCobalt

Post  BlueCobalt Mon Apr 25 2011, 21:00

Joe, good to see you still around! Rolling Eyes Will post pics tonight as need to download, eyes are open now but like Satinette could easily tell before as bright red!
    Red devil
    Red devil

Post  Red devil Mon Apr 25 2011, 21:39

joe90 wrote:Any pic of these birds yet Simon.

I am a bit lost as to how you know they are hens, how would you also know they are Robino,s if the eye,s not open yet?

This is where looking at any chicks at day old can tell you a lot.
    The first thing I do is look at the eye colour as this can tell you what you that you
    have something different.
    different mutations have different eye colours at day old and can be seen through the flesh covering the eye.
    Phaeo
    Satinette
    Isabel
    Brown
    to name but a few
    All have different characteristics and different eye colours either at hatching or at adult hood.

So the more you observe from hatching the greater understanding you will have about the mutation you keep.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 10:06